Tuesday, July 19, 2005

How Many People Actually Come Out Ahead Online

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/050719&num=2

Excerpt from this article…

Since there are very few, if any, reliable studies available that demonstrate the percentage of winners -- and big winners -- from among the tens of millions who play the game, you are probably wondering how I "know" this. Well, as it turns out, there is one group that can -- and does -- track this kind of stat, though they are not about to publicize the results. That group consists of online poker site management, two members of which revealed to me at the WSOP that what intuition suggests must be true -- only 8 and 7 percent, respectively, of all players on their sites finish the year in the black. And I'm not talking about deep in the black, either. The vast majority of those winners are not about to give up their day jobs.

I would have thought the numbers would have been roughly even, like a bookie. Half the people win, half of them lose...of course bookies get a vig and poker rooms get the rake. So let's take that into consideration and and say with a 10% rake the winners to loser ratio is 60-40. So either the winnerw are up huge, or I am missing something.

3 Comments:

Blogger Felicia :) said...

I would estimate definitely over 90% are losers, probably closer to 95%.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Surgesilk said...

Wow! The famous Felicia! Welcome to my blog! I read yours relgiously. Now if we define 'losers' as not contributing much to society... then I can see how your number might be right (especially poker bloggers...present company excluded!). What's your thinking on how those #s can be so disparate?

7:58 AM  
Blogger Felicia :) said...

LOL, the only famous thing about me is my ability to let off some really smelly farts.

I don't really understand your question. Are we talking poker money losers? Or just losers in general?

If I estimate 95% of poker players to be losers, I estimate 99.x% of humanity to be losers.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home