Friday, June 17, 2005

Why I'm Better Than Jeff

***Guest Editorial*** by LL J.G. (Ladies Love JG)
Big Slick has been asking me to write a guest post to his blog ever since I won the WSOP seat, but given that I’m lazy and not a very eloquent writer, I’ve been putting it off. Plus I’d rather be playing some donkeys heads up on Pacific Poker during my free time. Big Slick wasn’t lying when he said that place is a gold mine – winning at least 7 out of 10 heads up matches is quick and easy. Anyway, so I finally broke down and decided to write something about winning the seat and my plans for then event. To win the event I spent $100+10 and beat out 221 other hopefuls – I got lucky when I needed to, and I put the hammer down when I developed a huge chip lead at the final table. The way those tournaments are set up with blinds going up every 10 minutes, you really have to get some cards quickly to have a chance – and fortunately I did. Plus with my girlfriend on IM the whole time promising me certain favors if I finished in the top 10, top 2, and winning the whole thing, I was especially motivated – hey if a trip to Vegas and the possibility of millions of dollars doesn’t work for me, other things will.

So I go out with some friends that night to celebrate, and I immediately get advice for the WSOP from everywhere I turn. One guy says be conservative the first day and never go all-in, not even with pocket aces pre-flop. Another guy says I should go all-in the first hand no matter what to establish that I’m the bully at the table. Yeah real smart genius, risk the whole tournament to win $75 worth of blinds. Everyone wants to put in their two cents, which is cool, but I really have no idea how I’m going to play – it all depends on the situation. The only thing I do know is that I have to come up with some sort of gimmick, and I think I’ve figured it out – face paint. Actually not only face paint, but legendary WWF wrestler face paint.

I figure that’s one good way to be noticed when you’re a nobody among a few pros and 6000 other crackers. Of course if I do really well, maybe I can sell some forehead tattoo adspace. Hey maybe I can have raisethehammer.com on there – how’s that for on-line marketing?

But anyway, with so many players, the only thing I can really do is play well. If I get busted early by a bad beat, shit happens, and I still won a free trip to Vegas to watch the event. If I get lucky and make the final table, everyone’s invited to come out and be my cheering section, and holy crap I’ll be a millionaire. But I have no expectations – except enjoying Vegas, and of course busting open Phil Helmuth’s nose if I see him.

JG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home