Sunday, April 10, 2005

Cheating

Cheating. When you hear the word people generally have one of two gut reactions. The first, cheating conjures up images of wizened, gruff, but likable cowpokes, trying to get an edge. They may even spin yarns about the 'old days' when, in their youth, these dirty angels used to fleece less savvy poker players with a grin on their face and glee in their heart.
Alternatively, your first reaction might be much less sanguine. You might behave much the same as when you see a snake in your yard. You jump back in fright and in surprise. You immediately have a visceral loathing of the beast; you want to grab a stick and beat it or grab a shovel and chop its head off.
I admit, I am more in the former camp than that of the latter.
Cheating is rarely talked about in this golden age of poker. Sure, the popular TV show "Tilt" dealt with it, but did anyone ever doubt that the 'good guys' would ultimately triumph? Occassionally you might hear whispers that this online poker site, or that one, is known for people working in teams, or using bots, but it doesn't really seem to resonate with most players.
I'm discussing cheating because, unlike TV or the vaporous world of online poker, one of my regular games has been tainted with a cheater.
The "how's" or they "why's", or even what we did when we discovered his cheating ways is less important to me than our reactions to it. With ever greater numbers of people buying in, who is ultimately responsible for ensuring the game is on the up and up? I hear you all saying, "the players of course, its their money". And I agree, but there are all levels of sophistication when it comes to cheating. It can be as simple and as obvious as riffing thru the deck (as our cheater did), or the more deliberate and pre-meditated marking a deck, or dealing seconds. How is the average card player to know? Sure, he should arm himself with such basics as being able to tell a stripped or obviously marked deck, perhaps even notice when someone is dealing with a mechanic's grip. But the average player is as defenseless against a pro as a gazelle is to a lion.
So what should we do? Well the historical advice still holds up, " Don't play with strangers.". But what about in my case when this player... scratch that... this cheater was introduced into our game by a friend of mine (who I am sure had no idea) and had played with us dozens of times.
I don't know. I really don't. I still love the game, but I guess the shine had been a bit off for me lately. Now don't get me wrong, I am not naive when it comes to this sort of thing. My grandfather was the largest bookie in upstate NY for over a decade, and was 'well-connected'. I remember going to Saratoga for track season with him, and guys with names like "Pat the Pope" and " Johnny Two Shots" would come up to me, slip me $20 and tell me to go bet a horse in a particular race. Never did they fail to pay off. So I grew up around organized gambling.
I still romanticize it in my own mind. I still think fondly on when jockys would join us for dinner after the races and I'd be sent off after the entree was served so they could talk business. So I am hypocritical. What does that mean? When it benefits me, I am fine with it?
What is cheating anyway? If I am playing in a stud game, and the guy next me doesn't protect his hole card and I happen to see it ( and I really mean 'just happen') and I use that info to play the hand... did I cheat? Or is that just part of the game, and I am almost obligated to use the info?
I don't know, but it's something I have been thinking about. Please post your thoughts, I'd love to read the comments.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, according to Webster - to cheat is to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage; to deprive of something by deceitful or unfair means; to avoid by luck or skill -- you should pick and choose the one you like the best and use it however you feel the most comforetable. While cheating is a practice, there are some cultures that beleive that cheaters are born, not made. Take all the for what it's worth, which is probably not much considering the source.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Surgesilk said...

Yeah but is it cheating?

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personal decision...but in my opinion, no. Using the skills you have to gain advantage, that's not cheating. Or if it is, then God help us all.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home